Sunday, March 9, 2014

Movies you may have missed- 2013

The Oscars have come and gone, even if some of the nominated films are still in theaters.  The summer blockbusters are still weeks away.  This is the annual drought for movie lovers, who, like me, prefer to see films in the theater.  Here are several movies I enjoyed in 2013 which didn't get recognized by the Academy, most of which didn't enjoy as large of an audience as I think they deserved.

I was thinking about why I like certain movies.  There are a few elements that are critical... to me.  First and foremost I simply want to be entertained.  To that end I expect the duration of the film to transport me.  Time should stand still and I should become part of the time and place of the movie.  If I'm checking my watch, or thinking about, or wondering, what's happening then I'm less likely to be captured by the action.  I don't care as much about if it's serious or silly, deep and meaningful or frivolous, as long as I'm entertained.  The single most important element which makes that possible is simple.  I just have to CARE what happens to the character.  It needs to matter.  We can root for him, or against him, hope he finds his love or gets his comeuppance, but in the end we just have to care.  I suspect it's the writing that makes us care more then any single element.  The characters, human or not, are developed and flushed out in the script.  The look and visuals of the film, the cinematography, the effects, the music and sound, the editing, the direction, and of course the acting all simply enhance or magnify the degree to which we care.

So, here are a few movies I saw in 2013, which didn't enjoy a large audience but that had characters I cared about.  I'd put "The Butler" on the list but it made over 100 million, while the others at most made 21.

1.  THE ICEMAN:  I'm typically less impressed by "based on a true story", but somehow when it's a biopic I find that less of an issue.  Think "Walk the Line", "Capote", or "Ray"........  In "The Iceman" Michael Shannon portrays contract killer Richard Kuklinski who recently died in prison after being suspected in more then a hundred murders for the mob.  The film has a dark edgy feel reminiscent of old Scorsese, a-la "Mean Streets".  Director Ariel Vromen expertly manages to capture the look and feel of the 80's.  Michael Shannon, best known for his performances in "Boardwalk Empire" plays Kuklinski as a cold, calculating, relentless, but not conscious-less killer.  The only time we see any heart is when it comes to his family, whom he clearly loves and wants to protect.  Somehow Shannon manages to play the character in a flat monotone of murderous intent but yet we're able to see his humanity.  I've often objected to the lack of range, or arc, of emotion in such characters.  They are typically played so stoic that we're left cold, can't connect, and ultimately don't care.  Somehow Shannon pulls it off, being cold and unrelenting, yet letting us see his deeper love and concern for his wife and children.  Compare that to the failed deadpan performance of another gifted actor, Ryan Gosling, in "Drive".  Lesser roles well played by a terrific case including Chris Evans, Winona Ryder, David Schwimmer, James Franco and Ray Liotta make this film worth seeing.

2.  THE SPECTACULAR NOW:  It's all about the writing.  This gem of a coming of age film was written by Scott Neustadter, who also wrote one of my favorite Romantic Comedies of recent years "(500) Days of Summer".  He has an authentic way of capturing the feeling and the tone of youth.  He seems to understand the conflicts that confront even the most well adjusted adolescent.  The film is about Sutter, played by Miles Teller, a high school kid, who is conflicted about everything and everybody in his life.  I'm not sure why I felt so connected to his character but that's the beauty of film.  After the writing I credit Miles Teller.  This is the first film of his I've seen and I found myself hypnotized by his charm and skill.  He has a Tom Hanks every-man quality and a charisma seldom seen in such a young actor.  I'm really looking forward to seeing more of his work in the future.  This is not your typical boy meets girl movie and I strongly recommend it.

3.  THE WAY WAY BACK:  More people, still not enough, saw this coming of age film which in my opinion it wasn't quite as effective as "The Spectacular Now".   Liam James plays Duncan, a struggling teen on a beach vacation with his Mom (Toni Collette), her asshole of a boyfriend (Steve Carell), and his sister.  Duncan is conflicted by his own identity and his place in his family and in the world.  Not an uncommon theme.  He takes a job at the local water park amusement center.  He learns about himself and life under the watchful eye of Owen (Sam Rockwell) who hasn't quite grown up himself.   This movie has a few more "that can't happen" moments then I like to see in a serious movie but not enough to seriously detract.  There are a lot of laughs and a few poignant moments as well.

4.  ENOUGH SAID:   This is  marvelous film made for an adult audience and told with a female sensibility.  Julia Louis-Dreyfus and the recently deceased James Gandolfini, along with Catherine Keener, give deeply soulful and authentic performances.  The movies gives us a peek in to the lives of real people struggling with real issues.  How do we move on, how do we find love or companionship after divorce?  Who are we when we're not in a relationship?  What do we want and what do we NEED from a potential mate?  How do we deal with the loss of our children when they move out?  How do we deal with our children when they become adults and their own people......who we may not understand or even like?  This is a tender tale beautifully told and acted.  I cringed at times, laughed more then a few times, but always cared!

5.  ABOUT TIME:  This romantic and quirky time travel Rom Com was a lot of fun.  Tim (Domhnall Gleeson) learns from his father (Bill Nighy) that he can travel backi in time, simply by going in to a dark space and wishing it.  What would you do if you could have countless do-overs?  How would you improve your life?  Tim's primary focus is love and family.  His love interest is played by none other then Rachel McAdams who made her name in everyone's favorite love story "The Notebook".  Sure, there are plenty of those "that can't happen" moments and the rules about time travel are murky at best.  However, the genuine emotions, the chemistry between characters, and the spot-on performances carry this film.  I was easily able to accept the premise and move on from there.  I found the moments between father and son to be most powerful.  That may have something to do with my personal fondness for such scenarios, but more so because of the writing and performances.  Bill Nighy steals every scene he's in.  You can't take this movie too seriously but it held my attention from start to finish and I left the theater with a smile on my face.  What more could you want?

6.  THE KINGS OF SUMMER:  I'm not sure why I have so many movies on the list about teenagers, but here's another one.  This one is about three friends who are fed up with being kids.  They find a clearing deep in the woods and build a "house" in which to live.  They hope to become men, living off the land, fending for themselves.  This movie has a true indie feel and while flawed in several ways was different enough to be interesting.

7.  RUSH:  I'm not sure why this movie didn't do better at the box office.  It has the charm and rugged good looks of Chris Hemsworth.  It has the high octane power of formula 1 car racing.  It has the tension of a deep rooted rivalry and conflict of style.  It also has the expert direction and easy story telling of Ron Howard, who admittedly is hit ("Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Frost/Nixon") and miss ("Far and Away", "Edtv").  In the end I enjoyed the look of the film and cared about the characters.  Not exactly a chick flick but I think this movie deserves a chance.

As always I do hope someone actually reads this.
As always I welcome any and all comments........ be they in agreement or to tell me I'm out to lunch.
I also welcome comments about movies I haven't "reviewed".  I just simply enjoy talking film.




No comments:

Post a Comment